Leader in Me | Letter to the Parents
Dear Parents and Caregivers,
Palm Bay Academy is proud to be entering its second year living the principles embodied in Stephen Covey’s 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. We have embraced and implemented the Leader in Me approach and its 5 Core Paradigms…
- Everyone can be a leader.
- Everyone has genius.
- Change starts with me.
- Educators empower students to lead their own learning.
- Develop the whole person.
This past year we worked to develop a deep understanding of the 7 Habits, incorporating the language, skills and strategies to our school and personal lives. We searched for and developed the leaders in ourselves, creating a school culture that promotes the development of the unique leadership abilities of each of our students. We are very proud of the improvements and the transformations we have made so far. We have…
- Integrated a common language and leadership development approach based on the 7 Habits in every classroom.
- Implemented “Lighthouse Leadership Teams” to further develop and implement The Leader in Me Approach throughout our school.
- Provided training for over 100 staff members in The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People® by Stephen Covey.
- Contracted a Leader in Me coach from Franklin Covey to support long term implementation.
This year we are focusing our efforts on…
- Supporting our parents and caregivers in reinforcing the Leader in Me 5 Core Paradigms and leadership principles at home.
- Providing training for parent led leadership teams in The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People® by Stephen Covey.
- Designing and incorporating environmental reminders of the habits and principles we are living.
- Showcasing our students’ successes.
- Creating and tracking the progress of our WIGs (Wildly Important Goals); classroom, personal, school, and family.
- Introducing students to Student Data Tracking Binders and teaching them to track their own WIGs.
- Holding student led conferences where the students themselves let you know how they are doing.
These goals may seem quite ambitious, but the PBA staff is enthusiastically committed to successfully implementing them in the upcoming year. Help us reach our goals by taking part in the opportunities we provide for leadership here at PBA and feel free to introduce new teams utilizing your own genius and leadership strengths. Trust and reinforce the Leader in Me 5 Core Paradigms and leadership principles. Remember to have your student re-teach the Leader in Me content they learn back to you. This helps improve your student’s performance and fosters the qualities of independence (goal-setting, organization, time management, and planning); interdependence (teamwork, conflict management, creativity, and analytical skills); and renewal (fun, desire to learn, and good health).
Commit with us to the process of forging tomorrow’s leaders, instilling the characteristics necessary for our students to become thinking, pro-active leaders, able to meet and overcome these future challenges.
We celebrate the leader in you and in all of us. We look forward to seeing you for the 2019-2020 school year.
Madhu Longani, Director
Palm Bay Academy, Inc.
Forging Tomorrow’s Leaders
We Invite You To Learn More About “Leader in Me”...
- Visit The Leader in Me website http://www.theleaderinme.org/
- Read The Leader in Me, 2nd Edition, by Dr. Stephen R. Covey.
- Ask your child about the 7 Habits.
- Visit the Sean Covey website for 7 Habits games and activities for kids: http://www.seancovey.com/kids.html
- Print out the 7 Habits Tree.
- Read The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families by Dr. Stephen Covey.
- Model the 7 Habits in your family.